Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Watergate salad / Pistachio Delight

This is one of the classic American desserts. I had it at my friend Mary’s house party and enjoyed this chilly refreshing dish. Her mom gave me this recipe. I have made few changes. Not many Indians have had this before, so whenever I have made this at my parties it was gone in a breeze. Below recipe serves about 15.
Ingredients:
·         Crushed pineapple in juice – 1 Can (20 oz)
·         JELL-O pistachio instant pudding mix – 1 pkg (3.4 ounce)
·         Miniature Marshmallows – 2 cups
·         Chopped pistachio and walnuts – 1 cup
·         Heavy whipping cream – 1 quart or 32 oz.
·         Sugar – 1 cup
Method of Preparation:
~  Put whipping blades and whipping bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.
~  Take it out and then pour the heavy whipping cream in it. Whip the cream for about 10 minutes or until the small spikes starts on the whipped cream. (these two steps are according to package direction to prepare the whipped cream)
~  Now add sugar, instant pudding mix and whip for another minute to mix it thoroughly.
~  Take out the whipping blades. Add drained crushed pineapple and nuts.
~  Now add the marshmallows and give it a stir. Chill for at least an hour before serving.

TIPS:
  • Original recipe called for COOL WHIP whipped topping that you find it in freezer section. I have used that before and it turns out quite good too. You could use about 2 cups of thawed cool whip. Reduce sugar quantity.
  • Original recipe has non-drained pineapple. But it made it watery the first time. So I now choose to gently remove the extra juice.
Sending this to Shilpa's Life Is Green Event

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you of any suggestions and requests. Feel free to email me @ sumeesculinary@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...